Monday, January 31, 2011

Pillow Talk

A nice hotel pillow is pretty hard to beat. And, by "nice", I mean "likely to be found at a middle-of-line-chain, a place with no bed bugs in sight and where one doesn't feel the need for a shower after just sitting on the bed". That kind of "nice". Ignoring the fact that, yes, other people have had their heads on the pillow (which, as someone who doesn't handle germs terribly well, has surprisingly never bothered me all that much), most of the hotel pillows I've encountered lately have been plush, comfortable, and "where can I get one of these?!" wonderful. Such was the case at the Homewood Suites by Hilton where Bobby and I stayed during one of his business trips this fall. 

See? Here's the bed.


Now, I recognize that it makes me seem more than a little bit lame to have taken a picture of the bed at a hotel in Arkansas. I assure you, it was not the only photo I took of the hotel. (Okay, that doesn't really sound like it's helping my cause to seem less lame. Oh, well.) Really, though, I took a few pictures, purely in the interest of capturing some of the decor details that I was loving while I was there. The wallpaper, the artwork, the lighting fixtures...all so lovely and inspirational. But, for now, lame though it may be, having a random picture of the bed with its' pillows in all their lofty grandeur is coming in quite handy!

The pillows at this hotel were so pleasant, in fact, that I actually checked online to find out if I could buy them. (Also lame, I know. Cut me some slack, I didn't have much to do with my time down there!) As it turns out, I could! For $60 a pop, however, I decided against it at that point...but my dream of having high-quality pillows was reinvigorated.

I am not one to spend extravagantly, by any means, but I have no qualms about living a bit more luxuriously when it comes to bedding. After all, going to bed is something I do daily (nightly, rather) and there is nothing more comforting than being able to crawl into a bed that makes the tensions of the day melt away. A good night's sleep is totally worth it. For Bobby and I, anyway.

We have our high thread-count sheets, down comforters, and several pillows...but the pillows have been a problem. In fact, Bobby has not been sleeping very well lately, in large part due to the lack of support of his current one. (In smaller part due to my late-night "fidgety-ness" that has come about recently, but that is neither here nor there.) So, we decided to take advantage of the January "White Sales" and finally made the move to becoming down-alternative pillow people.

I wish we hadn't waited so long.

We have both slept wonderfully for the past five nights, and attribute that primarily to our latest luxury. These pillows aren't quite Hilton quality, and I'd love to upgrade down the road, but we have certainly taken a huge step in the direction of pillow perfection...and it feels so great.

It's the little things, you know?


No comments:

Post a Comment