Tuesday, October 26, 2010

One Incredible Weekend: Part II

Now, where were we? Oh, yes.... So, we got to Newport News, VA, rented a car, parted ways with our new friends, and drove 50-ish minutes to the hotel. The four of us had a lovely dinner at Joe's Crab Shack, Bobby and I spent some time in the jacuzzi, and then we called it a night. No other major happenings to report.

But, then Saturday came. Ah, Saturday. I'm pretty sure I woke up with a smile on my face. "It's WEDDING DAY, it's Mizzou GAME DAY...does it get any better?!" I was pumped.

I decided that you don't get THAT close to the coast and NOT go to the beach, so it was critical to me to find time in the day to make that outing happen! So, around 9:00 a.m., after a quick cup of coffee, my parents and Bobby and I got in the car and drove to the nearest beach, 30 minutes or so away. I am so, so very glad we took the time to do that. It was a GORGEOUS morning, and the beach was absolutely beautiful. (Perfect day for a wedding!) I don't think I could ever get tired of having sand under my feet and feeling waves tickle my toes. Being able to experience that is such a fun thing, and it made for a really memorable way to start the day. We walked around and Mom took some photos, and it was just enough time for us all to feel really refreshed. I'm glad we got to share all that together.

We got back to the hotel just in time for Bobby to catch a little bit of ESPN'S College GameDay from Mizzou, so he was a happy camper. (Seriously, of all weekends for there to be so much sports action! If we could've been in two places at once.... Bobby was definitely a trooper, participating in all the day's festivities, knowing there was a big game on. I owe him one!) A little lunch, a little visiting with the rest of the family, and it was time to start getting ready for the main event!

Kelsey and Jared's wedding was wonderful, and so very "them". The dress, the flowers, the music, the couple...it was all beautiful! (Not that I would have expected anything less! You'd think she was an event planner or something.) I know there were so many details that went into making it a special day for the two of them and for their guests, and it was all the more joyful knowing that Kelsey and Jared had waited so long for their big day and that they are such a great match. It was a pleasure to finally meet Jared (you know, Kelsey's new husband!) and it was so great to be able to celebrate with them. Congratulations, you two!

We ate (a lot), we danced (to "Eye of the Tiger", appropriately enough), we watched the MU score on Bobby's phone (while we danced)...and Bobby and I had a great time catching up with family and enjoying each other.

After the happy new couple left, we headed back to the hotel. The beautiful thing about our being on the East Coast was being able to catch almost the entire second half of the game, since it started at 7:00 p.m. CST! So, we all sat in the lobby and watched Mizzou pull off an amazing win over Oklahoma, thus ending a wonderful day in perfect fashion. (M-I-Z!!!)


One more post to come, with a few final thoughts about the weekend. Reflection is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment