Thursday, August 15, 2013

Four Years

For our first anniversary, Bobby and I vacationed in Cancun.

For our second anniversary, we bought furniture for our new house and celebrated with Chinese take-out. 

For our third anniversary, my parents brought a homemade steak dinner to us, and sat with newborn Emerson in the living room while Bobby and I ate our meal (together!) in the kitchen. That memory is a foggy one, as most memories during Emerson's first weeks of life are, but I remember it being a special, albeit casual, way to mark the occasion.



Today, for our fourth anniversary, I'm waiting for Bobby to come home from a week working out-of-town. Tonight, we'll celebrate his return, enjoy grilled steak for dinner, play with Emerson in the yard, and tuck her into bed. Then, we'll watch our wedding movie, per tradition, and call it a day. 

It isn't that all romance is gone after four years of marriage. Far from it. (In fact, we get to go on a date on Saturday night to celebrate, and it will be delightful!) But, one of the things that four years of marriage has taught us is that there are big moments, full of excitement & fun. (Cancun! New furniture!) But, there are also a lot of small moments, equally beautiful in their simplicity. (Quiet dinners at home.

I am so thankful for all of those ordinary moments. 
I am so thankful that we have many normal days that feel like big celebrations.
I am so thankful to have a husband who makes me feel so loved every day of the year.

This has been a most incredible four years. I am more excited than ever for all that is to come for our family. There is no one I'd rather be "doing life" with. And, today I'm really happy to celebrate being married to one pretty amazing guy.

Happy anniversary, Mr. Phillips! 
I sure do love being your bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment