Wednesday, March 2, 2011

House Hunting

So, here's where we stand with the whole "house hunting" thing....

We may be done! I say "may" only because who knows what can happen with such things?! But truthfully, it's entirely possible that we'll actually be done...since we actually wrote an offer yesterday! (I know, I can't really believe it myself!)

We found a property in the perfect location (minutes from each of our parents' homes and in an established neighborhood), with a beautiful and spacious yard, plenty of room for now, and lots of the features we were looking for. This home certainly falls into the "has-lots-of-potential" category, and would require a significant amount of elbow grease (read: wallpaper removal and paint jobs). The house was born built in 1986 (as were we!), and needs a decent amount of work to bring it into this decade. But, for the most part, the work is largely cosmetic and nothing a couple of capable young adults shouldn't be able to tackle...or so we're hoping.

If you'd asked me three months ago (shoot, three weeks ago!) if we'd be attempting to purchase an older home, one that requires some extra attention and isn't "up-to-date", I'd have given a resounding "NO". But, I knew there was a reason I've been so enthusiastically following Young House Love for the past year or so....

The YHL blog has quickly become one of my favorites, and I've found myself really wishing for a home of my own to "play with"...to the point that most of the newer homes we toured seemed far too "ready-to-go" for my (new) taste.

So, here we are, with an offer on the table for a home that would most certainly provide the chance to discover if I do, in fact, enjoy paint projects (etc, etc.) as much as I think I do! We already know with certainty that the house would be a place where we wanted to be...with each other, with friends, and with family (both present and future).

We are so excited about the prospect of making this house our home...here's hoping the sellers like the sound of that, too!

1 comment: