Thursday, December 9, 2010

Perspective

I had to go to Walmart yesterday to return a couple of ornaments. (Look at me, getting so much blog inspiration from trips to the store!) Even though I only had to walk ten steps from the door to the return counter, the guard greeter at the entrance not only had to check my receipt, but she put little stickers on each of the two ornaments. (I mean, truly, the return counter was right there.) I expressed some surprise at this seemingly tedious and largely unnecessary procedure, the lady agreed, and profusely apologized for having to follow protocol. She said that customers yell at her "all the time about it", and she was oh, so sorry for slowing me down. I told her that "really, it's fine" and that it was not a situation worth fussing about. 


Today, I was scheduled to substitute teach again. (Oh, yes, by the way, I'm subbing now...a turn of events that is certainly deserving of a blog post--or several--of its own. I am accumulating quite a collection of stories!) Anyway, I was told yesterday that I was needed as a para. sub. all day, only to find out this morning (after getting up/getting ready, making it to school by 7:00 a.m., & getting started in the classroom) that the regular guy had actually only requested a sub. for the afternoon...and I wasn't really needed until 11:30 a.m. The secretary who had scheduled me was "very, very sorry" and said she'd make it up to me. (I'm not exactly sure what that means in the "Subbing World" but I do like the sound of it.) 


In each of these recent experiences, both of the women seemed quite prepared to have to deal with someone who was notably upset at the given circumstance. Their ready apologies and timid manners lead me to think that they've had to deal with that before, which is sad. Sure, the situations were annoying (and could have been upsetting), but it was fun for me to be able to respond to the cards I was dealt with a positive attitude, reacting with a smile and an upbeat state of mind. 


When a situation or circumstance is less than ideal, I have been known to make a stink about it. (I know, 'tis true.) And, I used to get quite bent out of shape when things didn't go according to plan. Suffice it to say, 'Flexible' was not my middle name. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is now, but between my maturing and my husband's constant example of having a "roll with the punches" attitude, I am far more easy-going and (probably) more pleasant to be around.


That's not to say that I don't still have the confidence or gumption to stand up for myself or someone else, when necessary. But, these days the definition of when it is necessary has changed for me, and I'm learning to keep things in perspective. Taking a stand or trying to exert change has somewhat taken a backseat to the pleasure I'm finding in expressing joy no matter the circumstance...and surprising those who least expect that reaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment