Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Other Half

Yesterday afternoon, Bobby and I parted ways after a wonderful weekend in Springfield. I had to drive back to St. Louis, and Bobby left for Oklahoma City for a weeklong business trip. During our ‘goodbyes’ and immediately after, I was nothing short of an emotional mess. I had a good cry on the drive back to St. Louis, and upon seeing his truck in the parking lot at our apartment, I teared up again. And once I opened the door to our empty apartment, to put it bluntly, I completely lost it.

I do feel a little pathetic. He’ll only be gone a week. I’m a big girl. I can’t help but think about all of the wives who have to say ‘goodbye’ to their serviceman husbands, knowing it will be months before they see them again, only able to hope and pray for their safe return. We’re blessed that that’s a trial we don’t have to face.

But, I sincerely feel like half of me is missing. And, that’s the way it should be. Mom reminded me that it’s a good thing that I miss him so much. (“That’s why you married him”, she said.) We dated long-distance for a long time. I don’t miss those days. I’ve gotten completely used to seeing Bobby every day and coming home to him every night, and I am nothing short of lonely here without him.

Me and my other half at a Cardinals game in June.

This isn’t Bobby’s first business trip and I’m sure it won’t be his last. I don’t like feeling so sad, but I do love that I miss him so much. I hope it never gets easier to say 'goodbye', and I hope I never take for granted the days we do get to spend together.

It’s going to be a long week. Bobby is what makes this place home. But, thank goodness for cell phones…and Facebook….and Friday.

Missing you, handsome. Hurry home.

No comments:

Post a Comment