Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Home

My blogging hiatus has come to an end. The busyness of the past four months proved too much to handle, I suppose, thus the lack of writing. There are a number of events from recent weeks that I could discuss, but one has to start somewhere. Reflecting on the honeymoon has led to this post; we’ll see where it goes from here!

I had never been out the country before, and what a way to start! St. Lucia and the Caribbean were absolutely beautiful, and I could not have asked for a more perfect place to celebrate with Bobby. The surprising part, though, was how much we were ready to come home to the United States after our time abroad. Of course, we both knew we loved our country, but to be so looking forward to coming back to American soil was an unexpected, wonderful, feeling.

As we were in the air, flying back to Miami, I couldn’t help but think about how blessed we were to be heading back to a country that we are so happy to call home. I don’t imagine everyone being so lucky.

I was certainly in awe after seeing the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea, and the lush, palm tree-rich rainforests of St. Lucia. Yet, now that we’re back, I find myself recognizing “America the Beautiful” in a new way.

As Bobby and I drove to Springfield last weekend, I was admiring the scenery along I-44…hardly one of America’s “must-see” landscapes. Still, I was thinking about the natural wonders we’re afforded living here. The citizens of St. Lucia don’t get the joy of a white winter, and the Caribbean travel brochures don’t include a section on the brilliant colors of fall that we enjoy. We have beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, and the freedom to explore them all.

I’m confident that the Phillips family has more international traveling ahead. There is a lot of world left to see and experience! But, we will certainly continue to enjoy the blessings and beauty of America, too, and will always happily and proudly call this country “home”.

No comments:

Post a Comment