Tuesday, April 21, 2009

De-Construction

The Brady Student Center at Mizzou is undergoing serious renovation. “Phase One” seems to be complete, with the construction of a new bookstore and offices and whatnot. It appears that “Phase Two”, involving the demolition of some of the old areas of the building, is now underway.

I know this because today, as I was walking across campus, I witnessed a huge "hydraulic excavator" ripping massive chunks of metal off of the building. I paused in my walk momentarily to watch this scene because I don’t frequently see much de-construction, if you will, in the midst of the seemingly endless construction and re-construction on campus. 

There was something oddly intriguing about the sight of a large piece of equipment just tearing into what seemed to be a perfectly good piece of building. And I liked it.

Perhaps it was the novelty of the scene, or perhaps my pleasure in observing this spectacle was due to the sense of relief it provided after a long day. I’m not sure. But, for whatever reason, I found it strangely refreshing.

The experience inspired no particular thought-provoking prose or insightful musings about my world, and that’s okay. It is what it is…a simple moment of enjoyment found in a most surprising circumstance. And I like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment