Thursday, August 25, 2011

Twenty-Five and Golden

Today is my 25th birthday!


To be honest, I have always wanted to be twenty-five. My sweet husband thinks that I have forever looked forward to this birthday, which has put him under a bit of self-imposed pressure to make the day "perfect". I've tried to assure him that although this birthday is fun, it's really not the birthday I've looked forward to. I've truly just always wanted to be twenty-five!


To be fair, I suppose I'm somewhat partial to the number itself. My birthday is on the 25th (which makes this my 'Golden Birthday'!), and December 25th is a pretty fun day, too. What can I say? It's a good number. 


Besides that, though, being twenty-five just seems like such a great time of life!


I'm old enough to feel sure of myself, knowing confidently that I have some things figured out, mature enough to know that there are some things lots of things that I don't, and young enough to feel great excitement and anticipation for all that life has in store in the years ahead.

I think I'm really going to enjoy being twenty-five.


Some highlights from my day so far....

  • Pancakes, eggs, and bacon for breakfast, courtesy of Bobby, who got up early to cook just for me!
  • Having the "birthday cheer" performed in my honor by a cafeteria full of elementary students: "Happ...yyy...happ..yyy...birth-day!" (repeat) (Think, "we...will...we...will...rock you!")
  • Listening to Miss Baer's 4th grade class sing "Happy Birthday" to me in the hallway before class (Is that a great way to start the day, or what?!)
  • Spending the day around my mom, who played a pretty huge role in giving me life in the first place
  • Mrs. Hockman's 2nd grade class joint birthday wish
  • Several texts and facebook well-wishes from friends throughout the day
  • Being the recipient of multiple hugs and well-wishes by kiddos and teachers at school
  • My sister's lunchtime birthday phone call, complete with the "Happy (Golden) Birthday" song (yes, Rachel, you're still the only one to have thrown that in there...you creative thing, you!)
  • Being given a stack of surprise, hand-written/hand-colored birthday cards from Mrs. Miles' class of kindergartners, who were oh, so excited to deliver and show-off their handiwork...as well they should have been!

It was such a blessing to be around children today, who know more than anyone how special birthdays should be. They were so tender in wishing me a special day, and I could tell it was heartfelt.  What a gift, to have the reminder of the children's innocence.


And, the day is not over yet! I'm looking forward to...
  • Bobby coming home from work!
  • Not having to go to Parent Orientation at school tonight (Whew! Close one.)
  • BBQ chicken on the grill...Bobby's specialty
  • Blowing out the candles on my birthday cheesecake (homemade, by Bobby! I know, he's amazing!) with my husband and my parents
  • Enjoying the beautiful weather outside this evening
  • Tomorrow! It's almost Friday!
I am blessed. 

If today was any indication of what twenty-five will be like...then I was right all along! 

Twenty-five feels good.

1 comment:

  1. Twenty-five is almost GUARANTEED to be an excellent year, Mrs. Phillips :) Happy birthday to the best cousin and best friend a girl could ask for.

    ReplyDelete