Monday, May 23, 2011

A Serious Note

I have, unfortunately, reached that annoying stage in blog-writing that happens every now and again. You know, the point when there's just so stinkin' much to write about that it becomes overwhelming, and then it's easier to just simply avoid posting at all, since it's tricky to know where to begin?

It's a vicious cycle. But, I've got to start somewhere. On a serious note, I'm afraid.

I'm thinking about Joplin today, after last night's tornado. The images of the destruction are overwhelming, and it's a bit difficult to wrap my head around such devastation being so nearby.

Bobby was just in Joplin a couple of weeks ago, working at the damaged St. John's Hospital, staying in a hotel on Rangeline Road that may or may not exist anymore. He worked with many Mercy coworkers who have likely lost their homes or loved ones.

I watched coverage this morning of the latest tragic scenes with a greater sense of sympathy for those affected than I have experienced before. (Maybe it's the proximity? the connections? homeownership? maturity?) We haven't been homeowners for long, but we're proud of our house and have already made memories here...and I cannot imagine what I would feel if we saw our neighborhood flattened, or if we lost our home.

What must it be like to be directly impacted by such an event? I hope I never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment