Thursday, December 31, 2009

Together.

It’s happened again! Another engagement! Another bride-to-be!

My dear cousin, Kelsey, accepted (or, as I understand it, more specifically said “Yes! Yes yes yes! Yes!”) to Jared Bethune’s proposal on December 21st, under a street light and a starry winter sky. It sounded perfectly romantic, and I’m sure that it was just that.

Kelsey and I have always shared a fun connection, despite the distance that separates us and the lengthy time between our face-to-face visits. Our personalities (and the stories of our romances) are quite similar, and those similarities are part of what makes me so excited for all that she will experience in the months ahead.

Kelsey has waited a very long time for this point in their relationship. And, I can absolutely relate. Like Jared and Kelsey, Bobby and I dated for several years before getting married, including all throughout college, and when I graduated in May, the wedding was mere months later. Planning and organizing is in our blood, and like Kelsey, I was beyond thrilled for (and actually, motivated and energized by) all of the planning, organizing and busy-ness that comes with being engaged.

It’s amusing to hear about her engagement and celebrations to come and think “Hey! That was me this time one year ago!” Her 2010 will be my 2009! Life is such fun.

As Kelsey described her new engagement ring in a blog of her own, she said “He picked out the most PERFECT ring & isn't just me, or my style. It's us.” I love that description. “It’s us.” The ring is certainly more than a gift to the bride; it is symbolic of the pair. It can be a beautiful illustration of the love of the couple. And, Kelsey has wisely chosen to recognize it as such. Good for her. My prayer is that that wisdom will continue as they plan their wedding day, and their marriage, as well.

I like to think that Bobby and I enjoyed a perfect wedding day built together, and that it was truly a reflection of our love story, with God as the Author. I believe that we’re doing that as we build our marriage, too. How beautiful (and fun!) it is to plan for not only a day, but also a lifetime, TOGETHER.

Kelsey (far-left) and a few of the cousins at my wedding in August.

(Notice how she coordinated her outfit for the occasion? Yep, she's good.)

I absolutely admire the woman that Kelsey has become, and the cousin (and the avid planner!) in me cannot wait to hear all about the stories, stresses, and surprises that come their way as they move toward their “big day”. If anyone can design a beautiful wedding, Kelsey (and Jared) can. I have yet to meet Jared, but I have a feeling that the two of them, together, can create a beautiful marriage, too.

Congratulations to the future

Mr. and Mrs. Bethune!

Happy planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment