Friday, September 13, 2013

"Baby, You A Song"

I've enjoyed the song "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line since I first heard it over a year ago. Can you blame me? It has a great beat, and during those first few long weeks around the house with an infant, hearing it never failed to put me in a good mood. I must've played that song many, many times that summer, during my dancing days with Emerson. 

Needless to say, Emerson now recognizes the song when it comes on the radio, or when I (frequently) play it on Spotify as we hang out. As soon as she hears those first few notes, she looks at me with a big smile and usually heads in my direction so we can "dance". Our bouncing as the song plays has put her to sleep in my arms more than once, and truly, it's the closest song we have to being a lullaby for her. (I'm not proud of that. But, honestly, the girl dislikes sleeping so much that she hasn't really allowed for any sort of sweet bedtime rituals...yet.)

Do I love that my toddler's favorite song has the word "hell" in it? Heavens, no. We'll have to come up with a way to modify that one of these days.

But, I love that we can love a song together. I love that it reminds me of her, every time.

And, sure, the lyrics are referring to a different kind of "baby". But, it still makes me think of mine.


"Baby, you a song...." 



...and a most incredibly beautiful one, at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment