Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Journal Excerpt: Our First Ultrasound

December 13, 2011 
(11 weeks)


I saw a miracle today.


...


The nurse came in the room first, and tried to find baby's heartbeat. Quietly we waited while she worked. It took a while to find it ... and for a moment I was nervous that we weren't going to be able to. And then, all of a sudden, there it was--"thump, thump, thump, thump...", strong and fast and so very real. Bobby and I locked eyes, knowing in that instant that as we heard your heart beat, you had completely stolen ours.


Later, (the doctor) came in for an ultrasound. And there you were! Our baby. She could hardly get a sonogram for as much as you were moving! You were so very active, moving every which way. (I told Bobby afterwards that it seemed obvious we either had "an athlete or an Emily!")




As we watched the screen in absolute wonder, the doctor said, "this is the real deal, guys!" People say that pregnancy feels more "real" once you've seen the baby, and I can now say that I concur. There is, without a doubt, an active, growing, alive baby inside of me...the "real deal". And, thank the Lord for that!


It was an incredible experience. Another beautiful milestone on this journey. I could have watched you wiggle on that screen for hours, Little One. You are breathtaking, and deeply treasured.


I saw a miracle today.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, This brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete