Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Six Months

Six months ago Friday, we closed on our house! We didn't move in until a month or so after that, but we have officially owned our home for half a year (plus four days) now. Wow. We've done a lot of living in the past six months, and have still been able to spend a lot of time working on the house, too. The progress we've made in these past months is considerable, and I'm so very proud of what we've accomplished.

New paint, new hardware, new furniture...a new "look". We're definitely making our mark here.

Those dents in the garage door? Yep. That was all us! (Okay, that was all me.)
The paint stains on the carpet? That was me, too.
Royal has chewed the trim in the laundry room, and the window screen in the guest bedroom has a few Royal-related scratches.
(Seriously, Bobby, have you not damaged anything? I'm the destructive one?! I didn't see that coming.)

But, I love all of that. It means we live here. Are we trying to destroy things? No. We take a lot of pride in our home, obviously. But, a house doesn't turn into a home because of a new paint job. Instead, it's the living and the memory-making that takes place there (for better or worse!), that makes it a special place to be.

We don't want to fix the garage door right now (let's be honest, I could damage it again!), and for now it serves as a reminder to me that accidents happen. The paint stain reminds me how hard we worked to paint for so many weeks, and how much fun it was for Bobby and I to take on that project together. And the Royal stuff? Well, we love that dog, who undeniably brings us more joy than the times that his behavior reminds us that he's very much still a puppy. I hope those bite marks always make me think of him, and these past few months when the three of us made the house our own.

In many ways, it feels like we've lived here for far longer than six short months. We're so very content, very comfortable, very much "at home" in this space, and that's exactly the way it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment